Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolutions Cannot be Rushed

Another New Year. More resolutions. More back-sliding. More recriminations.

This year I resolved to:
  1. Write more.
  2. Eat less.
  3. Exercise more.
  4. Complain less.
So far I have written nothing, eaten everything in sight, haven’t lifted a finger I didn’t have to, and complained all day. So much for resolutions. But, wait! It’s only January 3rd. There’s still time…

Later today—I worked on my stand-alone novel. It seemed to go well. I won’t know,
of course, until I reread it tomorrow. But I felt happy while writing and that’s usually a good sign.

I ate practically nothing. I was too engrossed in my novel. An apple. Some yogurt. A banana.

At mid-day I hit a snag and went for a long walk to work it out. I walked faster than usual because it was cold and that was the only way to keep warm. It felt good to walk fast and think clearly, for a change. By the time I got home I had worked out the snag.

As for complaining? What’s that? All’s right with the world!

Robin Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment