Monday, July 23, 2012

Summer Reading List

Here are a few books I’ve enjoyed this summer that I’d like to share with you.

THE UNCOMMON READER by Alan Bennett.
The perfect book to read during the year of the Diamond Jubilee!

MRS. PALFREY AT THE CLAREMONT by Elizabeth Taylor.

I had read Elizabeth Taylor’s short stories in the New Yorker and liked them, but I had never read any of her novels. This one is charming. The author understands what growing old is all about and portrays the process in many shades of gray with great sympathy. I want to read more by this author

ANY MRS. MALORY MYSTERIES by Hazel Holt.

This writer got me through the heat wave. She is like a cool bath or a glass of cold lemonade, not too sweet. Tart.

MARY OLIVER/POETRY.

I’m not big on modern poetry, mainly because I usually don’t understand it. But this poet is very understandable, and her poems are like a cold drink of water,

That’s it! If you have any books you' d like to share, I'd love to hear about them.

Robin Hathaway

1 comment:

  1. Robin, to answer your question, I've gone into a new kind of reading land this summer! Instead of reading the usual suspects I always enjoy, I've tried to branch out to new writers ( not new to the world - but new to me ! ) - especially people whose blogs are on the left hand column of Crime Chronicle! Jon Land, Chester Campbell, Paul Doiron ( who is Wonderful !), Lea Wait, Earl Staggs, Dennis Palumbo - to name a few. I feel I have opened Alice's door into a wonderful new world! There are so many wonderful people who are real folks - writing wonderful novels! I feel so lucky to have found the key to get to their books! Thelma

    ReplyDelete