Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dancing into Autumn


As Louis Armstrong sang, “I dig summer; that’s my time of year.”  I love the bright days, the soft fruits, the big moons, the blooming gardens.  I even love the thunder storms.  But for this year, summer’s days are numbered.  This gorgeous early September is, I remind you, not fall yet but still part of my favorite season.  But autumn nears.  It will be gorgeous, no doubt, but it is the wrong side of winter for me.  The trees now so vibrantly alive will soon show us their true colors and then drop their leaves.  The skies above will turn the same shade as the sidewalks below our feet, and worst of all the dark will descend.  Dusk will come long before supper time.  And there is nothing we can do to stop it.

We can, however, look to brighten up our hearts and souls.  I say we watch a little dancing in the movies.  Try these clips and see if they don’t cheer you up.

You are undoubted familiar with John Travolta’s marvelous turn in “Saturday Night Fever.”  Take another look:


You knew John could do that, but did you know Christopher Walken could do this:






If you have not seen “Pennies from Heaven,” get it.  It could keep you smiling until apple blossom time.

Our finale is the BEST ever.  I quote Frank Sinatra when I say, “It doesn’t get any better than this.”




Winter is coming to chill us.  I say we stand up to it, face the music, and DANCE!

Annamaria Alfieri
  

4 comments:

  1. Not surprised at Christopher Walken. I heard him say in an interview that he studied tap as a child, and he may have been a hoofer before he was an actor. If you like tap, though, you want to see Gregory Hines' performance in The Cotton Club. There was a dancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, you are so right about Gregory Hines. He lived in my neighborhood. I used to see him in the old White Horse Tavern having a burger. It was a pleasure to watch him walk across a room.

      Delete
  2. You really made me smile and only I know how much I needed it!
    Thank you!
    xoxo,Nico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nico, making you smile when you need to gives me GREAT pleasure.

      Delete