Friday, June 7, 2013

Settling in for the Summer

Harold and I have been back for a week or so now from our trip to the southland. We are expecting visitors, beloved family members, at the end of June and again at the end of July, so my plan for the summer is to hang around the house, entertain friends and feel swell about things generally. I do plan to put in an appearance at Deadly Ink, but since that's the weekend our son John will be visiting, I won't be staying overnight in New Brunswick.


Summers are great here, in spite of heat and humidity to rival that of Mississippi. The joys of summer in Lambertville include a ten-minute fireworks show every Friday, a delivery of organic vegetables every Saturday (at least for those of us who belong to the Honeybrook Organic Farm), and the opening of the Marshall House to visitors every Saturday and Sunday afternoon. This year it will also involve a senatorial campaign by Rush Holt, right now the smartest man in Congress (okay, the field of comparison is nothing special but he really is an extraordinary person). I would love to see him in the Senate. So maybe he will win the Democratic primary and it will be a totally wonderful summer.


In the meantime I bought some new porch furniture. It was reasonably priced and it's very nice; I got it online from the Wicker Warehouse. The old furniture had seen its day. The plastic wicker was rotting off, it was intractably dirty, and the chair had little spiders in it that used to creep out and bite Harold on his arms and legs while he was trying to read. After I finish cleaning the attic I plan to spend a lot of time lounging in the new rocking chair and catching up on my reading. On June 26 I might take a break and go to New York City, there to dance the tango at four o'clock in Dag Hammarsjold Plaza with Annamaria Alfieri and her flash mob.

Kate Gallison

9 comments:

  1. And in the fall you and I will get to vote in two separate elections.
    These are the times I'm really happy I don't own a TV.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new porch furniture!! Is that a cat on the couch???? TJS

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cool thing about extra elections is that I get to go sit at the polls as an election worker. It's a long day (5:15 a.m. to 8:15 p.m.), but I get to see my neighbors, and the pay is good. Yes, that's my ancient and neurotic cat, Shadow. The perspective of the shot makes it look like a couch she's sitting on, but in fact it's only a love seat, as our porch is quite small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the quotidian nature of your writing here: the porch, the cat, the homey town events. Feels like summer! Bob K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collingswood is lovely and the poll folks are very nice, but I do miss Philadelphia at election time
    I don't see the same kinds of characters I used to see outside the polls there.
    "Hey, little lady (I am short) if you're a Democrat we need to talk." or when I was standing in line with a lot of other female voters, someone shouting "I hope you ladies aren't going to let that confirmation thing influence your voting. Senator Spector loves you, ladies." (This after the
    confirmation hearings for Clarence Thomas)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, I don't know what quotidian means, but thanks. Steph, we have drama at the polls in Lambertville, too, but it's low-key. Maybe I'll tell you all some stories later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, the porch looks so pretty and inviting. My fingers are crossed that you will be at the tango flash mob. We'll drink a nice cold glass of Argentine Torrontes together afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to look up the meaning of quotidian - and agree with Bob... Thelma in Manhattan, which is not so quotidian ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So none of you have had your neighborhoods invaded by the Pain Quotidien chain. They may be perfectly fine folks and I know it means Daily Bread but I always think of it as Daily Pain so am reluctant to offer to buy additional sorrow.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete